Tuesday 24 March 2015

Apartment 143 (2011) - Spoiler Free.

I'm going to give credit to the director and the actresses/actors of this movie at the end of this post, so fear not, I'm not ignoring them. 

Anyway, this was a 1.5/5 star movie on Netflix, and after checking out a few positive reviews, me and my boyfriend Austin decided to go ahead and watch it - let me tell you, it was worth it. 

It's not the most amazing horror/thriller movie you will ever see, and especially with the word "Apartment" in the name, it can't be mind-blowing, can it? It was decent and definitely worth watching though. 

It's about this little family - the father Alan, the daughter Caitlin, the young son Benny and their cute little dog Zelda - who temporarily move to an monitored apartment over the weekend after noting some paranormal activity taking place in their household, shortly after their mother died. 

A lot of people commented on this movie saying it was slow and I have to say I disagree, I actually thought it was very fast paced and if they meant the story was slow, I only kind of agree - the story was released at a reasonable pace, and was probably the most interesting part of the movie, although not too filled with information. I feel like they could have added a good section more to the plot to make it more interesting.

I don't know why they thought the damaged relationship between a teenage girl and her father after a major death in the family was a huge thing to focus on. Of course, we do learn why their relationship was important to note during the scene of interrogation, but if this in any other sort of circumstance, people would overlook it and put it down to guilt and having feelings they don't know how to deal with, as one man in the movie pointed out and everyone else ignored. Alan's abusive behavior throughout the movie was also a dead give-away to what happened previously before the activity had started to happen, along with Caitlin's snappy comments here and there, and Benny's comments to the camera early on in the movie. 

I think this can easily be compared to Paranormal Activity with the way the family setting is and how the cameras are, but it's easily better then Paranormal Activity - I mean, not to say that I didn't like that movie, it just wasn't given enough to make me want to see it again.

As the actual jumpscares, horror/thriller aspect of this goes...not great. I watched this in a house on my own with moody lighting and in partial darkness, I wasn't scared and I am quite easy to scare when it's dark. However, I do think it had a good thriller aspect but not the best I have ever seen. 

This movie is a 3/5 overall and if you just want something okay to watch when you have nothing else to watch, go over to the UK Netflix and have a fun hour watching this. ;)

Director - Carles Torrens.
Fiona Glascott as Ellen Keegan. 
Rick Gonzalez as Paul Ortega. 
Kai Lennox as Alan White. 
Gia Mantegna as Caitlin White. 
Damian Roman as Benny White. 

No comments:

Post a Comment